Someone unfamiliar with flooring might be wondering, what exactly is flooring underlayment? Well, it’s basically a layer between the flooring of your choice and the subfloor. Let’s put it this way: it acts as a filling between, for example, your laminate flooring and your subfloor. It is also considered one of the most important parts of floor installation.
What do we need it for?
- It creates a cushioning layer that will help prevent movement, which means that it will also help prevent your flooring from cracking or bending.
- The entire flooring structure will also have a better stability.
- It helps protect your flooring from moisture.
- Will help with noise transmission. Less likely for sound from inside the room to leak out and for sounds from the outside to leak in.
- Helps with heat insulation inside the room.
Types of Flooring Underlayment
One type of flooring underlayment is foam, classified as a soft flooring underlayment. Foam underlayment also comes in different types.
Acoustic foam – An effective foam underlayment when it comes to keeping floors from being noisy.
Cork – Very good for reducing sound transmission and helps to prevent stress cracks.
VB and MVB foam – These two are types of water barrier underlayment which helps against moisture.
Dura-son – This environmentally-friendly acoustic underlayment is made out of recycled tire rubber. Unlike the other types mentioned above, this is type of underlayment is a hard underlayment. It insulates sound and provides good stability for the boards.
What type do you need?
The type of underlayment you need depends on the type of flooring that you will be installing. Laminate flooring usually uses a floating underlayment such as foam or cork. You also need to take whatever existing flooring you have into consideration. Concrete, for example, will need a vapor or moisture barrier.
To see the types of flooring underlayment that we have available, please go here. If you need more information about the type of underlayment that you need or if you wish to ask about our installation services, call us at 778-837-9276 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.