So you’ve decided on laminate flooring as your solution for your home. However, you’re unsure about your transition mouldings and the types of transitions that you may need. We can help you with that!

Why Use Transition Moulding for Laminate Flooring?

You need transition mouldings for a couple of reasons:

One reason is self-explanatory, you need it for when the flooring transitions from one surface to another. But why would your flooring need to change?

Well, that’s because people tend to want their flooring type to change in the different rooms. Some people prefer carpet in their bedrooms but laminate for their living room or kitchen. And most people like tiles in the bathrooms.

Another reason is that transition mouldings preserve the structure of the laminate floor. It also helps with the transition from a flat flooring surface to the wall.

Types of Transitions

Quarter Round:

The Quarter Round is used to cover an expansion gap between a wall and your laminate flooring as well as exposed edges. It’s one of the most popular type of transitions.

End Cap:

This type of transition moulding can also be called “square nose”. It’s basically used to provide cover for an expansion gap near a brick wall or fire place or sliding doors and such, because it would be difficult for a Quarter Round to cover the gap. The transition is placed to overlap the laminate flooring.


This is used for transition between your laminate flooring and a surface that’s of a lower height.


This type of transition moulding is used to bridge a gap between the edge of the stair and the laminate flooring.


This type of moulding is used to create a seamless transition from your laminate flooring to another hard surface. The other hard surface needs to be of the same height as your laminate flooring otherwise there will be uneven support.

If you have any questions, email us at: bclaminate@gmail.com.